On Saturday, September 27, 2003, at 11:52 AM, Adam Maloney wrote:

> Only call the police if there are injuries
> "" if damage > "what you can wipe off with your sleeve"
> "" if damage > $100
> "" if damage > $500
> "" if damage > $1000
> Always call the police (damage or not, injuries or not, etc)

This might be useful if you really want to know...I'm sure it's in
there somewhere.
http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/169/

> When you are in an accident, and your insurance company knows you were
> in
> an accident, your rates go up.  I believe for most insurance co's you
> will
> pay a higher premium for 3 years after the latest accident.  This is
> regardless of fault or whether they paid any damages.  If you have an
> accident on your record, and they see it, your rates will go up.

I would suggest looking for other insurance.  That is not how my
insurance company (progressive, in case you care) does it.  They have a
point system, and everything they find on your record goes on your
billing statement, but some of them are worth 0 points, like the
windshield I had replaced because it cracked on me.  Anything they do
give you points for will cause your rates to increase for 3 years,
though.
I love it.  I have two speeding tickets costing me a 27% rate increase
per 6 mo, when the speeding on my part is nothing but a "potential
future liability" on their part. And I had a broken windshield that
actually cost the insurance company a little bit, that did nothing to
my rates.

> Because I was driving the "uninsured Ford driver magnet", his insurance
> company is not going to pay the damages.  Now, I can take him to
> concilliation court, where I will probably win (he won't show), but he
> isn't REQUIRED to pay me.  He will have a judgement against him for the
> amount, and I can send him to a collections agency and shoot his
> credit to
> hell, but the kind of people who drive w/o insurance already have bad
> credit so he won't care.

I hate the fact that there are so many laws out there protecting mean
and stupid people from themselves and others.

--
Justin Kremer
<kremer at ringworld.org>