Not to pick specifically on Sam, but here is a great example of the
problem.

So far, from the list and from other sources, here is what I've heard on
calling the police in an accident:

Only call the police if there are injuries
"" if damage > "what you can wipe off with your sleeve"
"" if damage > $100
"" if damage > $500
"" if damage > $1000
Always call the police (damage or not, injuries or not, etc)

It seems that everyone I talk to has taken the $5 law class instead of the
$10 law class :)  Sam may be right.  But my dad might be right, my wife
might be right, my agent might be right, or any of the dozen other people
that responded might be right.

Basically, I've decided that it doesn't matter what circumstances REQUIRE
you to call, I'm just going to call every time, just to be sure.  If the
police don't like coming out for nicks and scratches, so be it.  I'd much
rather have them busting the neighborhood meth lab, but I've got problems
too.

As for why I didn't call my insurance company, let me explain that.

When you are in an accident, and your insurance company knows you were in
an accident, your rates go up.  I believe for most insurance co's you will
pay a higher premium for 3 years after the latest accident.  This is
regardless of fault or whether they paid any damages.  If you have an
accident on your record, and they see it, your rates will go up.  This has
been the case for all 4 companies I've been with in the past.
Furthermore, 5 months ago was my 3 year accident anniversary (no cake),
and my insurance agent called and told me they wanted to switch companies
because with my record clear now it would be cheaper through this new
company.  The accident 3 years ago was not my fault, and there were no
damages paid, but it was still on record with my insurance company, and my
premium was still much higher.

I am not wrong here.  I spoke with my agent again yesterday, and she
advised me to avoid getting the insurance company involved and just pay
the damages myself, to avoid a rate increase.  She didn't have to pull my
file to see which company I was with to tell me this.  This seems to be an
across-the-board policy for all insurance companies.  The thinking is, if
you were in 1 accident, you are likely to be in more accidents (dictated
by where you live, where and how you drive, etc).

So obviously the best solution is to have the other guy's insurance pay
the damages, and let his rates go up.  This is what should normally happen
when you are in an accident and you're not at fault.

Because I was driving the "uninsured Ford driver magnet", his insurance
company is not going to pay the damages.  Now, I can take him to
concilliation court, where I will probably win (he won't show), but he
isn't REQUIRED to pay me.  He will have a judgement against him for the
amount, and I can send him to a collections agency and shoot his credit to
hell, but the kind of people who drive w/o insurance already have bad
credit so he won't care.

I can also send Louie and Mikey down to do a "scientific study" to see if
it's easier for him to pay me with broken kneecaps - but I won't.

So now, I can have my insurance company pay it, or I can pay it out of
pocket.  Now, regardless of my deductable, it's going to be cheaper in the
long run for me to just pay the $850 directly, rather than have my rates
go up for the next 3 years.

But stil, thanks to everyone who responded, and special thanks to those
that offered help.  I met St. Paul's finest at the corner last night and
actually got them to file a report, so we'll see what happens.