Well, I had been looking at this:

  hda: Maxtor 91296D6, ATA DISK drive
  hdb: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1, ATA DISK drive
  hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1202, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
  hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive

But then I checked /etc/fstab (because I knew I could moutn data cds on /cdrom)
and I found this:

  #/dev/cdrom     /cdrom          iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto         0       0
  /dev/sr0        /cdrom          iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto         0       0

So I went back to dmesg and found this:

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: 14.A
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
  Vendor: TOSHIBA   Model: DVD-ROM SD-M1202  Rev: 1020
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

A quick adjustment of the permissions on /dev/sr0, and I'm listening to a cd.

Thanks.

George Fischer - gfischer at visi.com