----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Penney" <blots at visi.com>

> I have these questions for you all.
> 1. Do you think defragging this partition is going to make a noticeable
> difference in performance?
> 2. Can anyone point me to any resources that would convince my coworkers
> that the problem is not the drive, it's the database?
> 3. Is backing up the partition, deleting it, then restoring the only way
> to deferment a ext3 partition?
> 4. is there a way to determine the how contiguous or fragmented one
> particular file is?

While I can not give you any solid evidence one way or another for whether a
defrag would be beneficial (my gut instinct says no), I do suggest that you
consider putting reiserfs on in place of ext3 if you consider option 3.

Oh ... one question ... is your MySQL database using innodb?  That will
naturally be slower because of the transaction handling unless you manage to
tune it specifically otherwise.

Tom Veldhouse