Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
[snip]
> /etc/network/
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network has teh proper HOSTNAME and NETWORKING=yes
> (that's all this file contains.

This is normal. This is also where your hostname is set, as you saw.

> so I started going though some files and I see this:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
>
> DEVICE=eth0
>
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
>
> The NEEDHOSTNAME seems fishy to me...
>
> can I comment out that line and restart netork?

Just change the yes to a no. You can also set a different hostname here
if you want (some people use a different hostname for each NIC, or
perhaps for other purposes), with the HOSTNAME line like the one you saw
in /etc/sysconfig/network.

> OR
>
> how do you set hostname without using GUI tools (that seem to bork the
> system up..)

It's already set in /etc/sysconfig/network, as you saw above.

--
Dave Sherman - MCSE, MCSA, CCNA

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
   for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.