This is actually just a development system so there is no load to speak
of on the database. I appreciate your input on the best hardware for the
job. I know even just a second hi-perf drive with cache would help a lot
but for now it is what it is. It just has one drive formated into 5
partitions in a 1.2GHz atholon with 1 gig memory. It's not for
production use. I'm just curious how big of an effect drive
fragmentation would have on this system as it is. My coworker thinks it
has a huge effect on lookup performance. My guess is little to none.
Unless I can come up with something to back that up I'm going to have to
waste my time doing a job that I don't think needs to be done. I guess I
could just do it and say I told you so but I don't really want to.
Perhaps I'm wrong but I doubt it. I've been wrong before, it was this
one time when I thought I was wrong but I was actually right so maybe
that doesn't count ;-)

- Tom

Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>