On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 04:15:01PM -0500, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> With databases I like a configuration where the OS and applications are
> on a Raid 5 set.  I like databases on mirror sets with their own
> controller.  Again, not knowing you hardware makes it tough.

"Let's RAID5" is the wrong thing to do with a real database.

A real database has separate tablespaces so you can place data, redo
logs, indices, sort areas, temp areas onto separate spindles. Data and
redo logs are critical, and should be mirrored. The others are
disposable, but you want them on the fastest spindles you have.

Cheers,
florin

--

Don't question authority: they don't know either!