On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Johnny Fulcrum wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:15:38 -0500, Lansing, Dan
> <Dan.Lansing at AndersenCorp.com> wrote:
>
> >I have written a small ugly script to restart some services which
> >occasionally quit for unknown reasons...is there a way I can write a
> >script to check if the services are running and run my restart script if
> >they die?
> >

> yes!  write a script to check if the process is running and restart if
> need be.  Then run a that script though cron and at your desired frequncey.
>
> you could use ps -ef and grep for the process pid if you know it  - or the
> process name... if there's only one running...

The only thing to watch out for is hung processes. Sometimes a process
shows up in ps -ef, but isn't responding. Just something to be aware
of.

There's a debian package called restartd that does exactly what you
are looking for. I haven't used it, so I don't know what advantages it
has over a simple shell script in cron.