If you run the indexing service for Amanda, recovery is pretty simple.
You can use amrecover to interactively build your restore selections and
it will prompt for the appropriate tapes.  If you leave indexing off,
it's a headache to try and figure out where the last full dump and all
the incrementals are.

Amanda uses dump, tar, or smbtar for windows shares.  Dump does a
straight physical dump without regard to file structure.  I've heard
it's a bad choices for modern file systems (haven't really looked, since
I use tar).

I didn't think the config was too bad; on the other hand, my favorite
editor is vi. :-)

I second the recommendation of the oO'Rielly book  The chapter on Amanda
can be found online at http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html

Dave Alitz