> Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to get this kind of
> information? Free is good, but I don't mind paying a small fee if
> anyone can recommend somewhere that I won't get (more) screwed.
>
> I'm waiting on the Louisiana DMV to open so I can ask what their
> procedure is, and I'm waiting on his insurance company to call me back
> and see if I can get anything out of them.

My understanding is that the state of MN does not give this information out anymore.  I believe the laws went into effect earlier this year.  I could be wrong however.  Louisiana might be a different story and still give this information out.

My recommendation is to call the police, and your insurance company.  Between the two of them, you should be able to get something done.

However, why didn't you call the police and your insurance company right away.  Police especially.  State law is $500 damage or more require police to be called.  Now days, that's a turn signal marker.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"