Thanks for the info on (the soon to be assimilated into the Windoze
collective) RAV and clamav.

> Thats my $0.02 for advice, now for some questions...
>
> Why do they need AV on the linux box?  Are they using it for a
> Samba/Email/Web server and just want something scanning there to protect
> the Win32 Clients?

Aside from a general fear of viruses, I think that the Linux box will be
on a LAN that has another box or boxes that have nothing to do with our
system but may have some sort of Internet connection.

To tell you the truth, I don't know much about their network and *my*
client would like to standardize on a Linux AV tool for all of *their*
clients. So I'm really asking about Linux AV in general and not really
for a particular end-user, although there is currently only one user
asking for it, but thanks for asking.

> If it's not to protect a Win32 Client machine, then why worry about
> trusting the software?  All it will do is use up CPU cycles, scan

*I* brought up the trust issue, not the client. I'm sorry that I did not
make that clear in the original post. My point is that we are talking
about security software so we would want to use a tool from an
organization that is trustworthy. Open source is one way to be
trustworthy and profit motive *can* be another. Please don't hijack this
thread for a discussion of this issue!

> through disks, and finally accomplish nothing of value.  My main reason
> for using clamav is to scan files that I would give to others or take to
> work, that way I won't be blamed for passing anything along to others.
>
> If they insist on having AV on all their boxes then don't the Win32
> Clients already have an AV package protecting them?

The windoze clients also have AV but that does not help the Linux server.
I guess I'm assuming that Linux AV only looks for Linux viruses and
Win32 AV only looks for Win32 viruses, but maybe I'm wrong.

> Just curious...
Just be glad you're not a cat ;-)

--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff