Interesting thoughts of course. I for one try to tip as much as I think
the service was worth. Sometimes the problem is I get a server that
obviously doesn't care about what they're doing (no, these are not servers
I have ever even come close to having contact with ever in the past). It's
odd how often these people are at the places that (for your "convenience")
tack on the tip to your bill automagically. That being the case, I try to
avoid restaurants that do this like the plague.

Yes, I know servers tend to rely on tips to make a decent living, and I'm
fine with tipping if indeed the service is worth it. However, I don't like
the idea that tipping is a means of insuring you don't get intentionally
terrible service like someone spitting in your food or drink. That to me
borders on extortion, or at the very least, giving the bully at school
your lunch money for fear of getting beat up.

The only reason I would tip if I received poor service is if it looks like
my server has been having a rough day. But if they blatantly, and for no
good reason, give me poor service, the lack of a tip should tell them they
need to be doing a better job, not to spit in my food the next time they
see me. Otherwise, a tip is just an expectation, and if so, just added to
the bill, forget about the service.

Do I install a virus on a client's computer if I got treated poorly or
didn't feel they paid me enough the last time I worked for them? No.

Sorry about the ranting, just tipping sometimes gets to me, and how some
servers thingk they deserve a good tip, even if they're slapping you in
the face.

Best Regards,
Joel