I don't think expect will help me...  Here's what happens...

Right now, the server dials a phone number through a PRI card, /dev/ttyG0_0
to /dev/ttyG0_47.  This dialin connection goes straight into a mainframe.

Alternatively, the mainframe is available via telnet, and it's the *exact*
same interface over telnet as it is through dialin.  I've tested hooking the
PRI card directly into a Cisco RAS device which spawns an autocommand telnet
session to the mainframe and it works fine.

However, I'd like to get something in place using mgetty to eliminate the
PRI cards (which are very expensive) and also to eliminate the cisco RAS
device which is also quite expensive.

So, here's my problem.  It looks like mgetty is designed for incoming
connections, like if someone was dialing the PRI card on the server, then
mgetty could pick up and spawn the telnet session.  But, I need mgetty to
listen on a virtual tty, and when the server tries to dial using that tty,
mgetty intercepts it and spawns the telnet.

I found something close to what I need, but it doesn't seem to work:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/1997/debian-user-199705/msg00383.html

Any ideas?