Hmm, after doing some testing, it seems I can use the current serial ports.
I just need a program that can bind to the serial port, open a telnet
connection to a server, and then pass the data both ways so the program that
uses the serial port thinks it's coming from the modem.  Anyone know of such
a program that can bind to the serial port?

For example, the program that needs this would open the serial port and dial
using ATDT16125551212.  When my little wrapper program which is bound to the
serial port sees the ATDT string, he would fire off a telnet session to a
specific IP and pass the data both directions.  When he sees ATZ, he should
disconnect.  Probably not too hard to do in perl, but I haven't done any
socket programming in perl.  Should be simple.

-jay