try upgrading openssl first then upgrade openssh.  You might want to
check for things that depend on openssl and make sure they're all
dynamically linked first.

# find what RPMS require openssl
rpm -q --whatrequires openssl

lynx
stunnel
curl-ssl
openssl-devel
etc...

# verify binaries are dynamically linked
ldd /usr/bin/lynx
ldd /usr/sbin/stunnel
etc...

You're looking for lines like this:
        libssl.so.0 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.0 (0x00000000)
        libcrypto.so.0 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0 (0x00000000)

If they're all dynamically linked, they should still work after you
upgrade openssl.  If the latest openssl won't compile you could try the
0.9.6x series, I think 0.9.6j was the latest.

--
scot