it does!  thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Tom Penney
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 4:49 PM
To: TCLUG
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] [Fwd: [tcphp] safe_mode: writing files, uploading]

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 14:25, Sam MacDonald wrote:

> The shared server I work on at work has safe mode on by default.
> When I try to write a file to the server, I get a permission denied error.
> I know that the script has a UID of 549 which is the same as user18.
User18
> owns the web folders I am trying to write to and the are chmod'd 755
(redhat
> 9 server), but I still get the error. Is writing files to the server off
no
> matter what in safe_mode? Also, is uploading not allowed at all?
>
> I have limited experience with linux/apache/php admin and shared servers,
so
> any and all feedback or resources anyone has for me are welcome.
>
> TOm

The script runs with the permissions of the user who ran the script, not
with the permissions of the script itself. The script is probably
running as user "apache". Do a "ps -ef|grep httpd"  to find out what
user your web server is running as.

There are many ways to fix this.

You could change the ownership of your directories "chown apache:apache
/path/to/YourWebFolder" so the user "apache" has access to the folder.

Or you could add both users to a group and change permissions so that
anyone within that group can access the folder.
groupadd phpuser
usermod -G phpuser apache
usermod -G phpuser user18
chgrp phpuser /path/to/YourWebFolder