doing a search on rpmfind.net

Jerry Sommerdorf

nick phillips <np at f-matic.net>
Sent by: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
09/22/2003 05:23 PM
Please respond to
tclug-list at mn-linux.org

cc

Subject
[TCLUG] red hat installer (re:Installfest Distro Recommendation)

just a quick note to whoever-it-was asking for a distro
recommendation...

i had to do a linux install at work for an old celeron box we have lying
around, and so i first tried debian, the distro i'm used to working
with. i grabbed an old o'reilly debian 2.1 book (i work at a used
bookstore, so i could only really use what we had on end), which failed
to recognize the ethernet card, and then got stuck in dselect dependency
hell, probably because of some problem with the original install cd.

after a few minutes of fscking around, i gave up and tried an o'reilly
redhat 8.0 disk, and wow - coming from debian, the red hat installer is
pretty damn impressive. instantaneous Xwindows installer, ethernet card
detected, easy resolution selection -- now i see why red hat has such a
following... the only problem i had was figuring out how to get on to
the redhat network -- apparently i needed to update up2date and install
a new SSL key, and i still couldn't easily figure how to install new
packages from RPM with the ease of apt-get, but i'm sure that's my
redhat newbieism speaking, not red hat..

anyway, i'm sure this is old news to everyone here, but since i was the
one promoting debian before i figured i'd let the world know the errors
of my ways.. :)

best,
nick