On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:16:50AM -0500, Jay Kline (list at slushpupie.com) wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:45:53 -0500
> amy at real-time.com wrote:
> >I'm trying to boot to debian bootdisk created by autoinstall.  It loads
> >initrd fine but when it tries to load the kernel, I get this error:
> >
> >bad gzip magic numbers
> >
> >-- System Halted
> >
> >Does anyone know what that error message means?  It sounds like it's having
> >problems uncompressing the kernel.  I compiled the kernel using make-kpkg.
> >Thanks.
>
> It sounds like gzip libraries may have a problem on the compiling box.  After
> you have the initrd image, can you extract the kernel and uncompress it
> manually? Can you do that for a kernel that DOES boot?

How do you do that?

Maybe I don't understand completely, but from what I've read, the kernel
has a built-in mini gunzip so that standard gunzip commands won't work on it.

In the meantime, I recompiled the kernel on a different box and it got
past Loading linux .... but partway into Uncompressing Linux it just
reboots, so now it looks like I have another issue.

--
Amy Tanner
amy at real-time.com