Thanks for the response on this one. I should really give more information.

I am running Mandrake 9.1, and the copy program I am using in this case
is K3B, which uses cdrdao to duplicate CDs, and is set up to use the
generic-mmc driver on my machine.  The drive is a Lite-On LTR-28426S
that came on a General Nanosys system. On most CDs I have this works
just fine. On some of them, though, cdrdao fails, telling me I have a
bad sector or a read error, but Nero under Win2000 is able to read the
same disk. The copy of Nero came with the drive and with the system and
is designed to work only with the drive it came with, according to the
Nero CD label.

As far as I can tell K3B generates the command syntax described in the
response.

Interestingly, the same CDs that I cannot duplicate, I can open up in a
browse window and access files just fine.

I am curious if anyone else has run into anything like this.  This is
one of those annoying little cases where I have to keep M* around to do
things it does better than Linux as far as I can figure out.

Cheers,

Charlie O

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 13
>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:56:02 -0500
>From: Bill Layer <william.layer at comcast.net>
>To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
>Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Re: CDROM reading problems
>
>On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:27:29 -0400
>Charlie Obert <cxobert at goldengate.net> wrote:
>

>>About reading and copying CDROMs - I have CDs that failed on copying
>>under Linux, that I could copy under Windows2000 using Nero on the same
>>machine, same CDROM read-write drive.
>>

>What software did you use to read & write the image?
>
>Cdrdao under linux should be capable of just about anything that Nero can do in windows, but to deal with protected CDs, PSX / Dreamcast games etc, you need to specify some important options. A typical read process for a protected / PSX / DC disc would be:
>
>cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile [filename.bin] --device
>[bus,id,lun] --driver generic-mmc-raw [filename.toc]
>
>[filename.bin] - The actual image file
>[bus,id,lun]   - The SCSI-address of the used device
>[filename.toc] - The description file (Table Of Contents)
>
>To burn the resultant .bin/.toc set, you would use:
>
>cdrdao write --eject --speed [num] --device [bus,id,lun] --driver
>generic-mmc [filename.toc]
>
>Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Charlie Obert

"We've discovered librarians are very networked
and seem to know about everything before it happens."

Pardon my Freedom