i've been working on getting my printers fully up and running but I've run into several brick walls that i just can't seem to figure out. as of right now i've got lprng working using apsfilter to set up my two printers (HP laserjet IIp & deskjet 512c).

i've been trying to set up samba to allow the windows machines around here access to the printers as well. i've been able to print test pages from windows and linux machines, but only when i connect to the printer as root. when i try connecting as my user i get an unable to connect message from the windows-XP client and no indication of problems from the linux client, but no test page either. i'm thinking it may be some sort of permission issue, but can't for the life of me figure out what it is. any ideas (smb.conf and directory listings are below)

the other problem i'm trying to track down is with the laserjet II. when i send jobs to it from linux, it takes ~1 minute (per page) for the job to get sent to the printer, whereas jobs from windows clients print almost immediately. not knowing much about printing in general, my working theory is that windows is sending data formatted as RAW (from test page output), and linux is sending data as PS (or something), which is taking a lot longer for the printer to read. can anyone confirm this, or know what's going on and how to correct it?

one more thing, i recently snagged a laserjet 5L from a trash pile. upon opening it up i found that the power switch had popped loose. i think that is all that was wrong with it but i don't have a toner cartridge to test it and i'd like to know it works before i spend $60 on toner. does anyone have a toner cartridge that i could haul my printer over and plug in to make sure it's working?

thanks a bundle,
tom

===============================

smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = HIVE27
        server string = Samba Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /opt/samba/var/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        os level = 64
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.129.27
        guest account = ftp
        hosts allow = 192.168. 127.

--CUT UNRELATED PARTS--

[printers]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        printing = lprng
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr  -P%p -r %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq  -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release %p %j
        queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc  stop %p
        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p
        browseable = No

===================================

directory listings:

root at dali:/var/spool# ls -l
total 28
drwxr-x--x    3 root     root         4096 Sep 21 23:47 cron/
drwx--x--x    4 lp       lp           4096 Sep 21 22:31 lpd/
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     mail         4096 Sep 21 23:53 mail/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May 26  1994 pcnfs/
drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         4096 May 14 16:23 postfix/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb 12  1994 rwho/
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Sep 21 23:59 samba/
root at dali:/var/spool# ls -l samba/
total 0
root at dali:/var/spool# ls -l lpd/
total 8
-rw-------    1 lp       lp              0 Sep  4 15:30 acct
drwxrwxrwt    2 lp       lp           4096 Sep 21 22:25 bak/
-rw-------    1 lp       lp              0 Sep  4 15:30 control.pr
drwxrwxrwt    2 lp       lp           4096 Sep 21 23:55 hp2/
-rw-------    1 lp       lp              0 Sep  4 15:30 log
-rw-------    1 lp       lp              0 Sep  4 15:30 status
-rw-------    1 lp       lp              0 Sep  4 15:30 status.pr
root at dali:/var/spool# ls -l lpd/hp2/
total 64
-rw-------    1 lp       lp           1897 Sep 21 23:47 acct
-rw-------    1 lp       lp            180 Sep 21 22:58 cfA616nicholas.example.org
-rw-------    1 lp       lp              0 Sep 21 16:28 control.pr
-rw-------    1 lp       lp          22663 Sep 21 22:58 dfA616nicholas.example.org
-rw-------    1 lp       lp            616 Sep 21 22:58 hfA616
-rw-rw-r--    1 lp       lp              0 Sep 21 16:28 lock
-rw-------    1 lp       lp              0 Sep 22 00:05 lock.pr
-rw-------    1 lp       lp             80 Sep 21 23:47 log
-rw-------    1 lp       lp           5764 Sep 21 23:48 lpq.0
-rw-------    1 lp       lp              0 Sep 21 16:28 status