From: "Shawn" <sfertch at real-time.com>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Linux won't load....

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:35:50 -0500
> Karl Bongers <kbongers at infinetivity.com> wrote:
>

> > This sounds like a bootloader/bios/disk problem, the kernel is not
> > getting unpacked and started right.
> >
> > Are you trying to boot a parition that is past 8G?
> > Not sure how big a problem that is these days, just heard it can be.
> > How is it partitioned?  Maybe look at harddrive options in the BIOS..
> >
> > When you do an install, most distros allow you to make a bootdisk.
> > You should try one of these.  They include a kernel that could
> > work around any sort of early BIOS/disk problem like this.
> >

> I have a 40GB EIDE HDD in this system.  No different than I did in my
Athlon 1GHz.  Partitions are about the same size.  10GB for Windows, 30 GB
(broken down into various sizes of course) for Linux.  I was able to load
and boot successfully on my old system.  In fact the only time I went to
Windows was to play a few games (EQ, EF2, WW2 Fightes mostly).

> I have the partitions broken down this way:
>
> hda1 - Windows 10 GB
> hda2 - /  750MB
> hda3 - swap 1.5GB
> hda4 - extended (rest of drive)
> hda5 - /usr 5 GB
> hda6 - /tmp 1.5 GB
> hda7 - /var 3GB
>
> I didn't create a /home yet, as I was trying to do a quick install to see
if I could figure out the problems.  Haven't had a chance to test again
since my initial message on this.  Remodeling the home tends to get in the
way of such things.