On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:44:27 -0500
"Loren H. Burlingame" <loren at lorenburlingame.com> wrote:

> I have a CD-Writer that over time seems to have lost the ability to
> write reliably past the ~650MB mark and I get the type of errors you
> described when I try to access the cd I created past that mark,
> regardless of the drive I use to access it.
>
> also, the cd-writer in question will not read any disc past ~650MB.

There is a common failure mode in all types of drives that use exposed guide rails upon which the read head travels (CD, floppy, etc). Dust and crud accumulates on the greased rails and gets packed into a knot on the rail at the end of the head travel. This limits the travel of the head and hence the capacity of the drive.

Try opening up the drive and inspecting the rails at both ends of travel for any accumulations. Remove if found, then try to find some excess grease and re-distribute it on the rails. Make sure the head travels smoothly to both stops, with no hitches. Do not use any other type of grease than what you might find as excess around the rails, or you are really asking for it.

Hope it helps.