On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:20:15PM -0700, Joel Dick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a couple guys help me get my drive partitioned and lilo installed at
> the installfest last weekend, and I just set up an extra partition for
> slackware, even got slackware installed (I think, haven't been able to
> boot to it yet).
>
> So here's my setup quick
>
> 40 Gig IDE hd allocated as follows
>
> 4 Gig primary for win98 Primary /dev/hda1
> 382 MB Linux swap partition Primary /dev/hda2
> 5 Gig Linux partition for Debian Primary /dev/hda3
> Extended Partitions /dev/hda4
> 5 gig Linux partition for slackware /dev/hda5
>
> I know I have to edit the lilo.conf, but kind of unsure how to go about
> setting that up correctly, unfortunately I'm not at home right now to get
> a copy of it to post with this message, I was just wondering how other
> people have gone about getting this set up.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Joel

It's good to have a few rescue boot disks/cdroms before you
start playing with your bootloader.
If you don't have a backup boot disk, run:
#mkbootdisk
Which should make one for you.
Get a Tom's rootboot disk and/or some rescue-cd(knoppix,..) just in case.

You make a new image section in the lilo.conf, heres an example:

image=/mnthda5/boot/bzImage
label=Slack
#	initrd=/boot/initrd.bz2
root=/dev/hda5
append= "root=/dev/hda5 vga=0x314"

Then run lilo.

In the above example, you need the slack root partition mounted
at /mnthda5 first, also you can go look on your slack root drive
for the lilo settings:
mkdir /mnthda5
mount /dev/hda5 /mnthda5
cat /mnthda5/etc/lilo.conf | more
ls /boot
Make sure the location and name of the kernel match your settings:
"/boot/bzImage".

Make note if an initrd.img is used in the lilo.conf, hopefully you
don't have one or need one(Even if you have one, I'd suggest first
trying to boot without one).

Or as an alternative lifestyle:
add root=/dev/hda5 to your existing lilo cmd line during bootup.
This will boot the debian kernel, but mount the slack partition
as the root filesystem.

Hope that gives you some ideas and doesn't hose your system up :)