On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:12:45AM -0500, David Phillips wrote:
> UNIX permissions don't work that way.  If a user does not have search
> permission for a component of a path (i.e. the home directory), then he will
> not be able to access anything below it.

[snip]

Where did I mention $HOME? Most bad programs happily write all kinds of things
to /tmp (ignoring personal $TMP directories) with bad permissions, usually
leading to a file hanging out in /tmp that's group readable and or writable.

It's only worse whem $HOME has poor permissions due to say, $HOME/public_html,
where $HOME is a+x so the apache user can traverse into it.