At one time um.... 1988 - 1990 I was a programmer. Now the systems were
small but powerful.
NCR made servers they called <use a low voice> "The NCR Tower".  These
were systems based on the 68XXX processor and ATT UNIX. We used "vi" to
code. Now the version  of Cobol we used required line numbers to
compile, thousands of lines. I would make my code change save it, run a
script to renumber the source, and compile. Sad but true the but world
was a different place.

If  I were a programmer I would have to agree with you that "vi" is an
excellent editor. I'm not a programmer
any more, I guess I just don't want to have to use a reference to use an
editor. I want something simple that I don't have to task myself to use.
I'm  a visual learner, I learn best by observation. I can read a book
all day long, if I can't physically apply what's in the book, I can't
retain the information. I need visual clues to make things function.

I'm now going to take issue with the original statement.
"The Pico interface sucks"

I need visual clues to make things function, therefore this statement is
invalid for me.
I don't need the power of "vi" or "vim", I just want to edit a
configuration file.
Simple does not suck because complex is in some way better.

BTW  I installed "apt-get -f install joe" and I like "joe" even better
[ctrl-kh] then "editor'.
It's what I want in an editor, and I get to type "joe" to start the
editor. Think of what Cindy will say when she sees my new resume, "did
you use Word to write this?" "no I used joe."

Sam