Lansing, Dan wrote:

>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/12/1315224&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=147&tid=163&tid=187&tid=98&tid=99
>
>Am I the first to see this? I don't think it is as bad of a thing as the slashdotters...would be interested to know opinions of the LUG
>
>Dan Lansing

As long as it's not some 3rd party ad rotation that ends up spewing
Microsoft (.Net/200? Server/MSN) ads then I'll be fine with it.  I mean
how many companies actually would want to buy an ad there?  ThinkGeek?
IBM?  Oracle?  I'm fine with those.  They tend to be at least tastefull.

I don't see much difference between this and Red Hat's "How did Red Hat
get its name..." slides on their install.  Their both going to be
anoying, Mandrake is trying to make a buck, and Red Hat doesn't seem to
know how they got their name (I can't understand why they put 6 slides
explaining this 6 completely different ways, how many times did they
have to name the company the same thing?).  The screensavers will be the
biggest problem, but only for as long as it takes the user to turn them
off or replace them.  Personaly, I thought their default screensaver
looked like garbage anyway.

This won't stop me from using their distro.  I like that they keep at
the bleeding edge of releases, and I like the list of packages
installed.  But my first act after an install is to load fluxbox, and
set up xlock, so other than the ads on the install, I don't think I'll
be seeing too may of them.  In time I may switch to Slackware or Debian,
but not because of this.

Just my $0.02... (and spelling mistakes)
Chris Frederick