Sreekumar Kodakara writes:
> I have installed RH 9.0 in my system as it was working fime for some
> time. Now for some odd reason, during boot up it is opening the file
> system as read-only and hence when its starts initrd it fails and
> falls  to maintenance mode.

There should have been error messages that told you exactly what was going
on.  If they scrolled by too fast, press shift-pgup.  More than likely, your
drive had errors that fsck could not fix automatically.  Run fsck manually
then reboot.

To run fsck manually, you will need to know what device your filesystem is
on.  Run df.  Note the device, then run fsck on that device.  It will be
something like /dev/hda1.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/