> Seeing as the installfest is fast approaching, I'm trying to decide what
> distro I want to install, I'm sure this is always a popular question, but
> I'm hoping for some insight. I tried installing mandrake 9.1 and found

Forget Mandrake. It really, really sucks. I need to write up exactly why
on a web page I can just point to...

I'm going to assume you want a desktop system. People have recommended
Slackware. Thats how I got started 6 years ago. If you're up for a
little trial by fire and aren't scared of a command line, go for it. :)

My personal preference for the last 4 years has been Red Hat. If you
just want it to work out of the box and not touch a command line if you
don't want to, go Red Hat. It'll give you a nice slick painless working
desktop setup, that you can later pick apart to the bone at your
leisure. Since 8.0, Red Hat has really made it quite friendly and easy
to use. The new GUI tools for the most part don't suck, and its easy to
bypass them and not even install them at all if you don't want to use
them. Unlike linuxconfig, thank god that mess is long dead... Also, to
augment your RH system with the goodness of apt, see www.fedora.us

For dedicated servers, and machines too weak to run the latest glitzy
GNOME desktop, its Debian hands down for me.

Helped someone out with Suse a bit at an install fest. Seems okay, kind
of a European Red Hat...

Latest fad seems to be Gentoo. The prospect of HAVING to compile
everything from scratch doesn't interest me that much personally. I have
yet to mess with it...