nick phillips writes:
> Seeing as no one else has mentioned it, can I put in a vote for
> Debian? Sure, it's a bitch to get everything up and running, and
> you'll be pulling your hair out before you've got your soundcard to
> actually play an mp3, but by the end of it you'll have had a pretty
> decent introduction to the thing that makes linux so much fun...

Debian does take a while to setup.  But you only need to do it once.  You
can keep the same install for years and always have an up to date system.
Debian is by far the easiest Linux distro to maintain.  I don't know of any
other OS that is easier.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/