I also recommend SuSE, and will be at the installfest all day. I've got copies of 7.2, 8.1, and 8.2 (all professional versions).

Bruce

Bruce Broecker
Network Comm Supervisor
The Toro Company

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 01:37 pm, Joel Dick wrote:
> idea why). So, my choices are, try to install Mandrake again, or Go with
> either Suse or RedHat (their current versions). I'm looking for whatever
> one works good with a dual boot scenario, and has the best features for a
> guy that's still learning the ropes, but isn't entirely new to the world
> of linux. It's not that I'm really unhappy with mandrake either, perhaps
> having someone give me a hand with the install would be helpful even.

As I always do to these types of requests, I'll suggest SuSE. I too started
with Slackware, used Caldera for a while, tried debian, and have used SuSE
for almost 4 years, (looks at shelf with old CDs) since 6.2. A recently had
to rebuild my system after a hard drive failure. This system has been a dual
boot so I left space (a FAT32 partition) for a Win 98 SE install but haven't
done that yet. The SuSE 8.2 setup detected the FAT32 partition, assumed a
Windows install and added a boot option to Grub.

In the time I've used SuSE I've installed it on a bunch of systems with almost
no issues. This includes several laptops. Recently I purchase a TV
Tuner/Capture card and the system detected the card and it setup very easily.

As usual I'll be at the installfest for a while on Saturday if you decide to
go SuSE. ;-)
--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com