> I'm not sure how well AT&T filters emails, but T-Mobile's SMS Gateway
> doesn't clean up some header fields very well.  Additionally, the
> "Subject:" and "From:" headers count against your total character count.

Let me see if I understand this properly (I'm still getting used to
procmail so I want to make sure I know what's happening).  I'll insert
comments below, please tell me if I'm off base.

>     :0E
>     * < 1024

Why are we limiting to emails under 1K (or 50K in your follow up email)?

>     * ^From: \/.*

So the "\/" stores whatever matches the regexp immediately following it
to the variable MATCH?

>     {
>         # Grab the from address from \/ match above
>         FROM=$MATCH

Simple variable assignment right?

>         # Send copy to final destination
>         :0c
>         ! myuserid at server.com

Send the copy to my "real" address first so we can beat up the message
going to my cell phone?

>         # Generate autoreply -- strips headers, and keep body.
>         # Override "From: "
>         :0 fw
>         | formail -r -k -I "From: $FROM"

So we're reformatting the email to remove all headers except for "From"
which we saved earlier using the MATCH variable?

>             # Now, let's cut the body down to 150 bytes (one byte/char)
>             :0 abfw

flags here feed the body to the piped filter and wait if the previous
succeeded?

>             | head -c 150

gives us the first 150 bytes of the body back?

>             # Cut out the "Subject:" & "To:" headers -- may not be
>             # necesary
>             #:0 ahfw
>             #| sed -e '/^\(To\|Subject\):.*/ d'

Are these commented out because the formail line above already removed
all headers but "From"?  If I wanted to keep both From and Subject could
I do...

| sed -ne '/^\(From\|Subject\):.*/ p'

instead of the formail statement above?  Is there an easier/better way
to do that with formail?

>             # and send it on its way -- not important if body snip
>             # didn't work
>             :0
>             ! <myphonenumber>@mobile.att.net

Now we send the filtered message to my phone.

>     } #CAUTION, UNTESTED

So, have I followed this correctly?  By the way, thank you Chad for all
your help.  I think I'm starting to catch on and that's due greatly to
your advice here.

Thank you!
Ben.