This may not be as off-topic as it first sounds.

I got a message from Wind River this morning confirming the rumors of the
EOL of BSD/OS.  They will soon be releasing 5.1 in October, which will be
the last version.  All support ends on 31-Dec 2004.

Sihope has been running BSD/OS for about 9 years - there are 2.0 boxes and
manuals dated 1995 in the storage room.  We have almost completely
migrated to FreeBSD - we started more than a year ago when WRS bought
BSDI, and we started to see some problems.  But before that, it had served
us very well.  We have only a handful of BSD/OS machines left, and we
already have plans to transition off of them, it's just a matter of time.

So, for the not-off-topic part, we have a company that sells commercial
unix (BSD/OS is not WRS' primary business) that is dropping the product
line because it's no longer commercially viable, despite it being a sound
business model for the previous 10 years.

And everyone knows about ANOTHER x86-based unix vendor that is showing all
of the same signs, and is making one last effort before the company tanks,
because their x86-unix product is no longer making them money, and this
one IS their primary business.  This is also after being a relative
success for the past 10 years (The SCO group was founded in 1994).  Yes, I
said success - even though I think OpenServer sucks like a 14-amp Hoover,
and UnixWare blows like said Hoover on Super-Ultra-Mega-Reverse, the
business was in pretty good shape up until a few years ago.  (Does the
sucking and S-U-M-blowing cancel out?)

Is this the beginning of the end for commercial unix on x86?  Ignoring
Solaris x86, which is the bastard love-child of Sun and Intel (it's like
one of those morphing programs, where you put in your picture and your
girlfriend's picture, and you see what kind of hideous creation would
befall humanity if you procreated.)  It was not released to be a
stand-alone product and generate revenue, it just made things
easier/cheaper for Sun (easier support-wise for their existing customer
base that is already used to Solaris, and cheaper for Sun because they now
have a familiar OS that can run on their x86-based hardware, and better
for Sun in general because it gets more people hooked into Solaris).  Oh
yeah, but Sun loves Linux (so they released Solaris x86?!?)

So what does everyone think?

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications