On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 18:51, Tom Wurdock wrote:
> I ran Bastille Linux to try and harden up my system.  Now I can't
> login to KDE as root, not can I run/view certain programs.  It is not
> clear to me what part of the Bastille process did this.  Any help
> appreciated.

Hello TOm,

I see no one has any insight as to what Bastille did to make you unable
to log into KDE as a root. I don't either :). I agree with everyone that
logging into X as root is a bad idea. That doesn't help you because
you've set up things using the KDE as root. I thought there was a way
you could undo the changes which Bastille makes. It has bee a while
since I've run it but I'm sure there is a log someplace of the changes
which Bastille made. You should be able to undo everything and run it
again and try to figure out which question affects your "root KDE login"
problem.

For future reference: You should not, as a general rule, use a GUI to
configure server stuff. If your learning from scratch, learn to
configure things with a text editor. There are many reasons for this.

1- The GUI setup interfaces are never going to give you all the features
that are available.
2- Configuring from the command line us usually just as easy, or easier,
as using a GUI once you are comfortable using a text editor and the
shell (Bash).
3- It much easier to make changes remotely from a shell session. (over
ssh)
4- running X as root is a security problem.

This list gets longer but you get the point.

- Tom

--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>