On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 08:06, Bruce Broecker wrote:
> > T-Mobile, $5/mo for an extra phone on the family plans, plug in a
> > charger and a serial cable, push out SMS text messages via the
> > phone. It even has it's own UPS ;)
>
> Yeah, but this is a business environment, and I don't choose the cell
> phone provider.  We're using AT&T Wireless here, so I'm stuck with
> that system. I wonder if I can't do something like that with AT&T.
> I'll need to do some experimenting.

Well, I know you can do that with almost any GSM phone, which is what
the new AT&T mLife plans are (I've even heard friends mention recently
that it's not possible to get new service on the old non-GSM network
anymore).

Of course, if you're in a server room, you might have trouble getting a
signal out.  You might want to spring for a phone with an antenna jack.
If GSM still doesn't work, I'd start looking at whether or not Nextel
can do something similar -- I understand their phones work well inside
of fallout shelters (they're fairly popular for voice service for U of
MN staff, at least).

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   I'd kill for a Nobel Peace