OK, now lets not get upset with labor unions after all unions represent
workers. Believe me when I say that programmers and everyone else who
works in I/T are labor.  We are the work force, by definition the work
force is labor.

Yes the CWA Communications Workers of America http://www.cwa-union.org
You may also want to look at this site  http://www.allianceibm.org and
http://www.ibmemployee.com/

I'm going to address Mikes concerns in this note as well.
    1. There are to many independents
You need to know that even contract employees can be in a union, in the
same union as the full time employees.
    2. off-shore
Thats why we need to organize our selves, to stop this off-shoring.

Many companies (IBM and ATT for example) are moving jobs from the U.S.
to many other countries.  What they don't tell you about the 5 dollar an
hour jobs is the companies don't pay any health benefits. The places
where these jobs are being moved to have socialized medicine.

What the companies aren't saying is how much the CEO's have invested in
these companies in India, Mexico, Brazil, etc...  The CEO's are all
about making money for the stock holders, but never forget that the
CEO's are HUGE stock holders.

What they don't tell you is how they are training people in India to
pronounce "speak" American English.  They are teaching the people to
sound just like a mid western person so the American public doesn't know
they are talking to someone on the other side of the planet.
Call ATT customer service and ask where they are located. They will tell
you "I can't tell you that for security reasons" that is total BS.
Did the CEO of ATT tell you the attrition rate in the jobs in India is
around 30%.  These people work all night because they are servicing
American business.
Did they tell you they are abusing the people in these countries because
the pay is 1/5 that of an American worker.  Is that ethical or moral?
Did they tell you the people in these countries are not allowed to work
over time?

I quit my job at IBM because I could not stand by and see people I have
worked with for years loose their jobs. IBM brings programmers and dba's
from all over the world to the U.S. trains them to do the job and sends
them back to their country of origin then fires the IBM employees.  No
the person who took the job is NOT and IBM employee.
IBM has reduced it's work force by 15,000 jobs in the first quarter of
2003 alone.
Yes American workers are expensive, yes we are a little whiny, yes WE
BUILT THIS COUNTRY!

If want to bash unions and say they are bad, first find out about
unions. Do some research don't take a stand unless you know what both
sides have to say.  Get to know the issues then make a decision about
what to do.
If someone asks how to do something with PhP don't you ask if they have
done the research first, tried to learn about the question they are asking?

Sam.