On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Tim Wilson wrote:
> I need to buy a new NIC and I noticed that the Intel Pro/100 NICs have
> 168-bit 3DES coprocessors. Just out of curiosity, can Linux utilize that
> coprocessor automatically, or does that have to be built into the
> driver?

 I bought a couple of these a few months ago at a good price (think <$3).
My immediate findings were that the 3DES functionality is unsupported.
See:

http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/2002-10/msg00044.html

 Aside from that, they work just like a regular Pro/100, IIRC.

> On a side note, which NIC gives the most bang for the buck these days? Good
> Linux support is an obvious requirement.

 I've been pretty happy with both 3Com & Intel, but then, I haven't paid
retail for them in quite some time. ;)

     Jima