On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 22:11, Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I need to buy a new NIC and I noticed that the Intel Pro/100 NICs have 168-bit
> 3DES coprocessors. Just out of curiosity, can Linux utilize that coprocessor
> automatically, or does that have to be built into the driver?

I could find very little mention of this online, but I was curious since
I had seen a pile of cheap Intel boards with 3DES coprocessors on them
at Tran Micro a week or two ago.  I came across a mailing list message
somewhere from Donald Becker, who said the processor mentioned didn't
have any documentation available.  The posting was made last summer, and
I'm guessing things haven't changed since then.

I thought that maybe the Linux driver made by Intel might support the
3DES bit, but there's hardly any mention of Linux at all in regard to
their network adapters.

As for Ethernet cards in general, I've always found myself running into
3Com cards (I have seen too many 3c905s and *way* too many 3c509s in my
life).  They've always seemed to work for me, though I never had to
worry about the whole fiasco with 3c905a/b/c/d.  However, I think the
cards have a fairly tiny buffer on them (8 or 16kB, which must be
divided between transmit and receive), but whether that is any better or
worse than what else is on the market, I'm not sure..  I figure it would
become a problem if the system was heavily loaded, but it probably work
fine 99.9 percent of the time.

As far as I know, most Ethernet cards work fine in Linux these days,
except for a fair percentage of gigabit Ethernet cards (nVidia's onboard
adapter being one prime exmple).

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Are we live or on tape?