Checked crontab and cron.hourly.  Nothing in these that I could see that
would run any jobs for sendmail.

I ran netstat -al.  I see a few ports open, all of them accounted for bu I
don't see anything for smmsp.  (But the drives arn't thrashing right now
so its possible that something may be running while the drives are
thrashing)

> And hence AUTHOR wrote: Jim Streit
>> I have recently noticed a weird thing happening on a server that I
>> have.
>>  A few times a day, the drives on my server start thrashing, like they
>> are doing a massive read or write.  If I look at TOP while this is
>> happening the only thing that really shows active CPU cycles is
>> sendmail.  It uses about 8% of the processing power of the box.  After
>> about 10 minutes, the thrashing stops and that sendmail thread stops
>> (user smmsp).  During the thrashing there isn't any noticeable
>> performance slowdown.
>
> If it's at the same time every day, perhaps cron jobs?
> Maybe look at /etc/cron.daily, or try a crontab -l and se what pops out.
>
> Tried running netstat, grepping for smmsp, etc?
>
> -mj

> Jentges.NET, Inc.
> Voice: 763.783.3702
> Cell:    763.370.1201