I bet you are using redhat (or a derivative therof) right?  Here's how
to fix the behavior you are experiencing...

in the file /etc/sysconfig/i18n, change this line:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

to this:

LANG="en_US"

You'll probably have to log out/back in to get a new shell and the
problem will be solved...

-Erik