Quoting Clay Fandre <clay at fandre.com>:

> On Wed, 03 Sep 2003, Timothy Wilson wrote:
>
> > What if I use WEP and all the other standard security measures? Would you
> > trust it on the internal LAN then? It's risky, I know, but I'd like to have
> > access to my internal network with the laptop if possible.
>
> I actually left some things out. I do allow access from my DMZ back
> into my internal network, but only for ssh. With ssh you can port
> forward X11, or just about anything else you need.

This discussion highlights the dilemma for all of us geeky, but not professional
home users. Where on the ease-of-use/unlimited-flexibility security continuum
should I be? Is it better to have a drop-dead easy router/firewall like the
Linksys product that is probably good enough 99.9% of the time or better to take
an old machine (I've got PPro 200 lying around) and build a rock-solid
firewall/router that will allow me to have a "real" DMZ, but is also one more
machine to maintain?

The geeky side of me would love to fiddle around configuring that old PPro as a
router/firewall. Unfortunately, the other side of me has little time for such
things and needs to chase my kids, mow the lawn, do my homework, etc.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson
Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA