On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Todd Baker wrote:
> Hi Group I'm having some problems with my text display when I connect to
> my Linux box and try and run the "man" command with any manual file I
> get some funky text in the manual page.  I pasted a sample of what I'm
> talking about below any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

 While your question is a bit thin on details (distro, release, etc), I'm
going to hazard a guess.
 If it's RedHat 8.0/9, check /etc/sysconfig/i18n; it probably looks like
this:

--- snip ---
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
--- snip ---

 My solution was to change the first line to:

LANG="en_US.iso885915"

 Log out & in, and the problem should go away.

     Jima