Jay Kline said:

> Are you sure its just standard wep?

yes, standard wep. there is no VPNing going on.

> If its a wep key, the properties box should
> have the ******** line where the key is, right? (I dont know this for
> sure)  If it does, there are tools available to retrieve passwords
> stored like that.

I have tried one such viewer but it would not show the contents of that
particular field

> Have you tried telling them you are installing for windows xp pro?

I would have to bring it in to the laptop support center and *they* would
install the key

> If its not just wep, this method will fail.  Even if it is just wep, it
> will likely fail anyway. Yes, the algorithm is not strong, but that does
> not mean its weak. (Most home users will never generate enough packets
> to really worry about it)

yeah, I have given up on this front.

> The key does get stored into the card at some point, but it must first
> be stored on the filesystem somewhere to load onto the card (the card
> will not maintain state after powerloss)

hmmm, well I will continue on in my search.

thanks for the reply

LB