Hey everyone,

My broadband was just connected and I have rejoined the Internet age following
my four-month stint as a lowly dialup user (with apologies to other lowly dialup
users :-). My new place is thoroughly wired and I'm ready to assemble a home
network. I was hoping to get some thoughts on the issue.

Quick inventory:
(1) desktop running Linux and (1) laptop with OS X and Wifi
(1) 1-GHz Athlon with 512 MB RAM and loads of HD space (Linux)
(1) Dual 650-MHz PIII with 512 MB RAM and 9-GB SCSI disk (Linux)
(1) Linksys cable modem
(1) Linksys router/firewall
(1) Linksys WAP
(plenty) network and video connections in each room

My thought is that this rig will be a fun learning environment for me so I was
planning on using the Athlon for a LAN file server and the PIII as a Web server
for my personal Web site. The Linksys router has a dedicated DMZ port that I was
planning to use unless someone knows of a good reason not to.

I'm using the Athlon as an MP3 source with the SliMP3 MP3 decoder
(http://slimdevices.com). This is a really cool product, btw. The SliMP3
streaming software creates a Web page on a high port that can be used to manage
playlists and stream songs to various players. I thought of port forwarding to
that Web page from the router and putting it behind a .htaccess protected Web page.

I'd like to learn LDAP so I was planning to use it for authentication throughout
my LAN and as an addressbook for my email apps. I would like to be able to get
at the addressbook information from the Internet, but I don't want to expose my
more sensitive LDAP parts to the world outside my LAN. Any suggestions?

I don't want to allow access to the internal file server if I can help it, but
if I need to, I want it to be as secure as reasonably possible.

Any advice?

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson