when last we saw our hero (Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003),
 Nate Carlson was madly tapping out:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Adam Maloney wrote:
> > I believe if MX lookup fails (nameserver unreachable and not in
> > local cache), the sending side will queue it locally and re-try
> > later.
>
> ..assuming that their dns and mail servers work properly. :)

and you'd be surprised how many are illconfigured in this regard, or
maybe you wouldn't.  having administered some large mail systems i've
seen some really nasty burps in this department.  having seen a
tremendous amount of really broked stuff, i prefer to protect myself
against the idiots.

> If my MX host is down, I much prefer to know that my mail is going
> to a backup MX host under my control where I can make sure it sticks
> around until the primary MX is back up.

hear hear ... preferrably off a different segment than my dns server.
;-)

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC