    Jay> On September 1, 10:37 pm "Raymond Norton" <admin at lctn.org>
    Jay> wrote:
    >> I need to add new entries to my hosts file quite often. How can
    >> I reload it without a reboot?
    >>

    Jay> As was already stated, there is no need to reboot to have it
    Jay> take effect.  But something to consider is why you are making
    Jay> frequent changes.  DNS is a much better solution for changing
    Jay> hostnames/ips, as most dhcp clients support dns updates (to a
    Jay> degree).

I hope this isn't thread-hijacking, but I have been wondering about
reloading hosts files, too, because I run a teeny home network behind
my firewall.  There are a couple of DHCP-issued changing IP addresses,
so I had thought about running a DNS, but it seemed like overkill (and
previously people on this list had said it WAS overkill).  Is there a
very simple way to set up a DNS server that will keep track of a small
number of hosts, some of whom get their IP addresses from DHCP, and
then just farms out all other queries?  I imagine many others on the
list have the same kind of setup.

I looked briefly at djbdns, as being a micro-DNS server, but it was so
off the conventional Linux approaches to file location, daemon
running, etc., that I just gave up.

Thanks,