If you can't reach the 3 nameservers then it's unlikely you'd be able to
reach the web and e-mail servers.

No, I know it's bad karma - I have an agreement for an off-site
nameserver, but I haven't thrown the box together yet.  It's so far down
on my priority list, with everything else I have to do.  Rightly so, since
the circumstances requiring it are pretty outragous.

Our net connections come from two providers over 2 different OC-12's,
diverse entry points, SONET, etc. They connect to two different routers on
two different cards (PA-A3-T3 and PA-2T3+ into two 7206-VXR/300s), and we
have spares of both.  All of our gear is on generator-backed outlets
running on our own transformer (seperate from the rest of the building).
If the transformer goes, we have enough battery to last until the building
engineer re-routes our circuits into one of the building's transformers in
the same closet.

The TWT fiber enters on the East and West sides of the building and
terminates in the 5th floor closet, and they have enough battery power to
run for a day or two.  The Qworst fiber comes into the North side of the
building (collapsed ring) into the 1st floor, and is similarly protected
by battery.  Both plug into diesel outlets, and the generator has fuel
enough to run for 3 or 4 days.  The Qwest fiber goes to what M.H. calls
"The Ghetto" (Bloomington CO).  TWT takes two seperate routes to their
Minneapolis POP.

Of course, if all that breaks we have some PRI's coming over an OC-3 from
KMC, and our relationship with them is such that they could turn up an
emergency DS-3 pretty quick, and I could just announce out that direction.
I could probably even have TDS turn up a couple of emergency T-1's at our
Monticello POP, and run my traffic out there.

Worst case, we pack sh*t up and drive over to another friendly
neighborhood ISP :)  We've done that for someone before.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, steve ulrich wrote:

> when last we saw our hero (Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003),
>  Adam Maloney was madly tapping out:
> > *shrug*
> >
> > Registrant:
> > Country Inn & Suites (COUNTRYINNSUITES-DOM)
> >    1204 S. Ramsey
> >    Shakopee, MN 55379
> >    US
> >    Domain servers in listed order:
> >
> >    NS1.SIHOPE.COM               207.195.195.185
> >    NS2.SIHOPE.COM               207.195.195.186
> >    NS3.SIHOPE.COM               207.195.195.187
> >
> > But we have nothing to do with their room access...
>
> all nameservers in 1 netblock?  doesn't that raise eyebrows?
>

> --
> steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
> PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications