when last we saw our hero (Monday, Sep 01, 2003),
 rpgoldman at real-time.com was madly tapping out:
> Steve ---
>
> Is there anything we can do to improve the robustness of our ssh
> connections in these portal-based systems?  I seem to get a lot of
> dropped connections.  I can live with it, but if there's anything I
> can do to make it better, I'd love to hear it.

candidly, ssh is the best tunneling mechanism when you have an
instable connection.  given the use of TCP as a transport mechanism
you have all of the benefits of TCP and its connection resilience.
brittle tunnel connections are typically symptomatic of considerable
underlying network instability or a change in the end systems.  most
notably, a change in the IP address of the client from the perspective
of the remote side (NAT funkiness) (forcing ssh to tear down the
connection) and/or the decision of a portal to all of a sudden block
packets destined for you.

the best solution i've found is to take precautions to insure that
when the connections do drop i'm minimally bitten by it.  i.e.: use
screen.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC