On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:13:54 -0600
"Neigebauer, Ben" <ben.neigebauer at compellent.com> wrote:

> The reason I asked this question is that when my future-mother-in-law
> comes over, I don't want to have here remember a different password
> for every computer.
>
> Sometimes she uses my laptop (Windows 98), other times she likes to
> play the games on my machine (Linux). Other times, she wants to use my
> future-wife's iMac.

Sorry, don't have an answer to your question on passwords for common users, except that there are programs out there that do it.  Can't think of names off the top of my head right now.

But, this brings up questions...  Why would you let her use your computers so freely?  There's a lot of concerns here for it, one you don't know what she's doing on it (meaning you probably don't stand over her shoulder watching all the time) so she could accidentally pull malicious code down.  She could snoop and find something and take it in a way to jeapordize your relationship, even if it is purely of an innocent nature on your behalf or your fiance's.  Not to mention that something might break, and you'll have to try and fix it.

After I'm done remodeling part of the house, for our guest room I'm putting a thin client in (LTSP) for when people stay over or want to use a computer.  This way, they aren't on any system except one specifically designated for such usage.

Sorry, I'm just anal about my systems and not letting people on them.  Not because I'm hiding things, but because I don't want my configs messed up.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"