David,

I am not "freaking out", but I do want to know if this comment
applies to only the Apache 1.3.x series (and those before it).
Do the same limitations apply to the Apache 2.0.x series? My
impression was that you could choose to use the old process
model, but you were not limited to it (under 2.0.x). I have read
that you can choose different multiprocessing models, depending
on the OS platform, and some may prove more "scalable".

I think 1.3.x may be harder to "scale" upwards than some solutions,
but for me it more than makes up for that in flexibility (which can
also sometimes be a downside too, I know). But when you say "not
scalable", I ask where the hard chalk line is drawn between
the worlds of "scalable" and "not so". A nitpick, maybe, and it is
simply your opinion, sure, but my opinion is that many folks find
the old and crusty Apache 1.3.x multiprocess model "scalable
enough". I know I do, but my needs have limits (but I think most
do).

My 2 cents.

Troy

>>> david at acz.org 10/29/03 10:18AM >>>
Requiring a separate process per connection puts a fixed limit on the
number
of concurrent connections you can serve.  A properly tuned box can
usually
handle many more than this.  High traffic static sites, such as free
hosts,
are usually limited by bandwidth, operating system buffers or disk I/O.
Apache's process model will cut off users well before these limits are
reached.  In addition, the extra load of having all those processes will
have a noticable effect.