On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:21:30PM -0600, David Phillips (david at acz.org) wrote:
> Raymond Norton writes:
> > Just a quick question. I am trying to secure a directory in my
> > cgi-bin , but I do not get a password prompt. If I move the directory
> > outside of the cgi-bin it works. What is the safest way to get this
> > to work without moving the "wol" directory outside of cgi-bin
>
> I recommend using .htaccess whenever possible instead of putting directory
> specific config info into httpd.conf.  You will need to enable AuthConfig in
> the AllowOverride directive for that path.

The Apache group thinks differently.  I guess its a matter of how busy
your server is, since if you set up apache to use .htaccess files it
must check in every directory for it.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/htaccess.html

This gives a good tutorial on how to use htaccess files (and when not to
use them)

Jay